Salted caramel and chocolate is one of today’s hottest flavor trends – combining the creaminess of caramel and the sweet bite of chocolate, set off by a hint of salt. If you’ve never tried it: trust us, it’s amazing.
The secret ingredient that makes our Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffle recipe so easy and delicious is Uncle Wally’s Rich & Moist Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins. We’ve done all the baking for you, so the rest is simple and fun:
Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles
Ingredients (makes 16 large truffles)
- 1 three-pack Uncle Wally’s Rich & Moist Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins (12 oz. total)
- ¼ cup chilled frosting (vanilla, chocolate or dulce de leche)
- 16 soft caramel candies (chocolate-covered or plain)
- 1 ¼ cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt (for topping)
- In large bowl, crush 3 muffins with clean hands.
- Add frosting to the crumbled muffins and mix by hand until well blended; roll into 16 individual balls (about 1 heaping tbsp. each).
- Press your thumb into the middle of each ball and press a caramel candy deep into the hole; form the ball around the caramel.
- Place the truffles in freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Place 1 ¼ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tbsp. canola oil in a 2-cup microwaveable glass bowl or cup. Microwave for at least 1 minute and stir until smooth.
- Dip chocolate balls, one at a time, into the melted chocolate. Rotate with a spoon to fully coat with chocolate.
- Remove truffle from bowl with two forks – one on either side of the bottom of the truffle – letting excess chocolate drip into bowl. Carefully place the truffle on a foil-lined tray, gently removing forks from underneath truffle.
- Sprinkle a small pinch of coarse salt over truffle before chocolate has set.
- Repeat for each truffle and refrigerate truffles for at least an hour.
Consider doubling or tripling the recipe – a good idea, given how fast they tend to disappear. They can be made several days ahead and also freeze well.
Uncle Wally’s Rich & Moist Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins are sold at many fine stores, including Grand Union, King Kullen, IGA, Key Foods, Associated Grocers and Produce Warehouse.